WOMEN EMPOWERMENT CELL
Every citizen of the country, male and female, enjoys the right to education and employment in an environment of safety and security. The Constitution of India provides for "Gender Equality" and the "Right to life and liberty" to all persons under Articles 14, 19 and 21.It is thus the duty and mandate of every organization to provide maintenance of the fundamental rights to live and work with dignity for all employees: male and female. At the same time, persons sometimes face violations of their fundamental rights. This necessitates the establishment of safeguards to provide gender equality. Due to the historical reasons, working women often face difficulties and challenges at the work place, thereby necessitating the need for protective measures that safeguard womens rights and safety. The Women Empowerment Cell of the University College of Engineering Tindivanam was established in September, 2014 to address the practical issues related to the welfare of and equal opportunities for Women faculty members, staff and students.
MISSION AND OBJECTIVE
The Women Empowerment cell, University College of Engineering Tindivanam, strives to improve the quality of life of women through transfer of knowledge and technology and to make the women empowered economically, socially, culturally and politically in order to make the fullest use of their potential to the growth of the nation.
- The Women Empowerment cell, University College of Engineering Tindivanam, strives to improve the quality of life of women through transfer of knowledge and technology and to make the women empowered economically, socially, culturally and politically in order to make the fullest use of their potential to the growth of the nation.
- To bring together women organizations, government agencies, decision makers, academicians and technologist to share knowledge and ideas in the relevant fields
- To conduct seminars & workshops to impart knowledge of opportunities and tools available and train the women.
- To identify specific projects for rural, urban and semi-urban groups.
- To identify areas in which live projects can be given to students as a part of their industrial training.
According to the sexual harassment of women at workplace: (Prevention, Prohibition and redressal) Act 2013, no women can be subjected to sexual harassment at the workplace in the form of unwelcome sexual conduct.
- Wide range of behaviour that is repetitive and intentional and that is offensive and can cause extreme mental anguish and frustration which is not gender specific.
- Persistent and unwanted sexual advances from the opposite sex fellow student or teacher like sexually coloured remarks, showing pornography or a demand / request for sexual favours.
- Unwelcomed advances, words, deeds, symbols, actions and gestures that make the target uncomfortable.
- Violence, forcing an unwilling person to engage in or suggest behaviour involving the genitals or breasts, grabbing or improper touching over clothes
- Involuntary sexual act in which the person is threatened or forced to do something without once consent.
- Includes rape, inappropriate touching, groping, forced kissing or torture of the victim in a sexual manner.
- A legal term which can be sexual misconduct and official misconduct
- Language or actions such as ragging, bullying, using bad language etc.
- Sexual misconduct could be between teacher and student, staff and student or student and student, which is unacceptable at all times.
- Sexual misconduct is unethical and deserves preventive action
WHAT TO DO IF YOU ARE BEING HARASSED?
Person who has been victims of emotional/sexual harassment may approach the members of the Women empowerment cell either in person /email/phone to discuss their concerns.
WHO CAN APPROACH THE CELL?
Any woman employee academic/ non-academic (including contractual, casual and temporary) and female student of University college of Engineering Tindivanam.
- Counselling services will be available for resident and non - resident students
- Legal action against genuine complaints.
- Suitable Mechanism for individual complaints